Sunday, January 23, 2011

nesting

There are books everywhere. It looks like my shelves exploded - but it's just that I decided to pull everything out last night...

They say that pregnant women often do this -'nesting'- shortly before they give birth. I don't mean getting the baby's room ready or making sure you've got diapers at the ready. What I'm talking about is a kind of obsessive sorting, tidying and re-organizing of everything you own.

When I was pregnant with Jemma I assumed it was some sort of myth and that it certainly wouldn't apply to me... And then, as the time drew near, I felt a manic pull to re-do everything. And I mean everything. Think spring cleaning - but super-sized.

Well, I'm doing it again. Two weeks away from going to Ethiopia to meet a baby who will soon be mine, I find myself caught up in a 'cleaning frenzy.' It's not like extra space in my closet or better organized bookshelves is going to help us with another child. And yet, here I am. Again.

Even without flutter kicks in my belly to remind me of the impending arrival my body knows. Everything is changing and charged... And I want to be prepared.

I guess I'm just nesting...




Image: Glenn Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment