Sunday, June 20, 2010

Baby names

Our family has been waiting for 'the call' for about eight months now... We're not sure when it will happen - but at this point it could be any time... (pretty much whenever 'the powers that be' in Ethiopia select a child for us.)

In some ways adopting feels a lot like pregnancy - at times it's just 'waiting around' and at other times complaining about the process... but there's always a general feeling of excitement and gratitude. And believe it or not I've started 'nesting'. (Weird how you just start doing that without even being aware of it.) I've started sorting out everyting in the apartment, trying to get rid of some of the stuff we don't need to make a little extra space. Although, most recently I sorted out my closet, and I don't imagine the baby will get much use out of the extra space in there...

Last night as I was falling asleep I was going over girls' names in my head (which - not surprisingly - wasn't helping me fall asleep.) I'm looking for something pretty, but it can't be too common - her last name will be 'Smith', and I don't want her have the same name as 78 other people in the phonebook. I've found a few that I like, but about 35% of them my husband says sound like 'stripper names'...

Suggestions, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. We can't wait for your arrival! I had a similar problem when I was choosing my son's name. For some reason my husband thought all of my original suggestions sounded like 'soap opera names!' Ironically, I watch soap operas probably as often as you visit strip clubs so I have no idea how my names were labeled as such! You did a great job choosing Jemma's name, so I am sure you'll make another great choice. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I honor you (and your husband) in this decision. I wish there were more people in this world (myself included) who were willing to adopt. It takes a special couple to take such a step, and it says a lot about your character. I also know that God will bless you in this endeavor. He is smiling at you right now through my heart. I can feel it deeply.

    As for names, Sondra is coming to mind. I don't know why. I don't even know a Sondra. You could even add an "h" to the end to make in more unique. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading this to Allie and she suggests the following...Sadi, Laurel, Grace (that's Allie's middle name, and I'm not sure how Grace Smith sounds together?), Mariss, Carly, Gennesey (although that sounds a lot like Jemma), Miranda, Brooke, Rebecca (short could be Becca), Aidan...these are just a few of her suggestions.
    I have a feeling when you look in your child's eyes you will know her name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete