Wednesday, June 23, 2010

duct tape


Did you watch the movie “My big Fat Greek Wedding”? I loved it and so did my girls. Needless to say we watched it more than a few times. Over and over actually. I remember the dad in the movie thought Windex was the cure-all for any ailment, from getting rid of zits, to curing psoriasis and poison ivy.

Being half Greek, I’m thinking I have the right to my own version of a cure-all too. Mine is duct tape. Here are just a few of it’s miraculous qualities (I admit, some real, some not)…

1. Removal of warts: Took my daughter to the dermatologist to have a few warts removed from her knee, and instead of freezing them off my doctor recommended sticking a small piece of duct tape over them 3 times a day. In a month the warts went away. Although much slower than freezing them off, it is evidently more effective (warts tend to not come back with duct tape removal, while freezing has a higher return rate), and less painful. BTW, they sell bright colored duct tape now, so it makes the process more fun for kids to endure. I found the colored stuff at my local art supply store.

2. Prevents blisters: Wrap toes individually when taking big hiking/walking/running trips. Last October myself and 6 other friends took a one day hike at the Grand Canyon. We had trained for it over 4 months and were as prepared as we could be, but even preparing the way we did couldn’t prevent blisters. One of my friends on the trip had heard about using duct tape and some of us on the hike tried it, others not. Needless to say the ones with duct tape were mostly blister free after the 10 hour hike.

3. Keep me from talking (best use of it to date): If I cover my mouth with it as I sit putting my daughter Allie to bed at night, I can remember to just listen. I think mostly kids want to feel heard, and with duct tape it is virtually impossible to forget. Good thing it is dark in the room. Might give Allie a scare to see (that or a big laugh).

I'm always open to new uses for my favorite invention if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment