Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I'm bored


I’m so glad it’s summer time. The school year has a way of getting nutty with all the things my girls do. I made it a priority not to over-schedule them, but having three girls automatically qualifies our home as frenetic. During the school year I limit them to only 2 after school activities, but if you multiply that by 3 kids, it adds up.

Allie, my 9 year old, looks forward to a summer tradition we started a few years ago and it’s called mommy camp. It usually involves some form of a theme. This year Allie decided on a Hawaiian theme. I think it is her way of suggesting a family trip? Camp consists of a serious amount of art projects, throw in a little handball, a little piano time, and voila!, we have mommy camp.

My other 2 girls Taylor and Brooke love to ride horses, so our noses are filled with lovely horse smells on a regular basis (I'm pretty sure my sense of smell has been permanently damaged by it). But I think the horses are a great sport for the girls. It teaches them about perseverance and commitment, all good. Allie has never liked horses and decided a long time ago her sisters spend way too much time thinking about horses and not enough on themselves.

But summer time, in my book, is only a success if I hear these two words come out of my girl’s mouths, “I’m bored”. I figure if I have slowed them down enough to actually get bored I am doing my job. Micro-managing their activities isn’t good, and without homework or bedtime being an issue, it's good for all of us to be able to let it all go.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who was never allowed to utter the word "bored", I'm interested to see your take on it...

    For me boredom has more to do with my state of mind than any surrounding events. If ever I find I'm tempted to complain that I'm bored it's usually just because I'm not feeling centered or aware. So I've never thought of boredom as a good thing.

    But you've got a point. Kids are so over-scheduled these days that they barely have a spare moment, let alone time to be bored. And they desperately need time to just 'be.'

    Interesting to think of boredom as a luxury... Thanks for the stimulating thoughts.

    xo

    ReplyDelete