Monday, June 14, 2010

Past (celebrity) loves

A couple of days ago, my husband and I went to the MoMa over lunch to see the Henri Cartier-Bresson's photographs. (I mentioned the exhibit in an earlier blog post, but didn't get a chance to go until just recently.)

While we were walking through the gallery I noticed a man in a straw fedora, and felt a sudden thrill to recognize that it was James Spader. Now, I'm aware that James Spader isn't the kind of celebrity that usually turns heads... (It's not like being at the grocery store and seeing Julia Roberts - or Dr. Oz.) But I have a soft spot in my heart for this particular actor that dates back to 1988 when he starred in the thriller, Jack's Back. To say I had an obsession might be a little strong - but perhaps not... I probably saw the movie 19 times. (A record for me which is rivaled only by the number of times I went to see Star Wars.)

I'm glad to say I let the man enjoy the art exhibit in peace. I didn't go up and talk to him or beg for an autograph - which I did do nearly twenty years ago the time I saw him in a Los Angeles mall...

No. My crush has simmered down to more of a feeling of well-wishing. I haven't seen any of his recent work (I think he's on a television show these days) but I root for the guy.

It can be a little embarrassing seeing old boyfriends... especially when they never knew you were dating. At least my (imaginary) romance with James Spader was with a real live person... When I fell in love with Brandon Lee (who was in the movie The Crow) he had already died...



Henri Cartier-Bresson's photos are on exhibit at the MoMa until June 28th.
http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/968

1 comment:

  1. Until June 20th James Spader is starring in the David Mamet play RACE on Broadway. He has been doing the show since November 2009 and is excellent! I have to admit if I saw Spader at MoMA I would be busy looking at him (I hope inconspicuously) more than I would be looking at the art...love the guy!

    ReplyDelete