Tuesday, September 14, 2010

did i do it?


School is back in session. I always hate it when people say, “time flys”, but I can’t think of anything more descriptive to express this particular feeling.

Our last summer was pretty crazy. We were in the middle of moving, renovating and learning how to navigate through a divorce. Nothing felt settled. After a completely un-fulfilling summer, I vowed to slow this next one down and didn’t plan usual summer stuff…long trips and over-activity, just good old hanging around. I dreamed of hearing the words, “I’m bored” come from my girl’s mouths. I wasn’t sure how this particular picture would look by the end of the summer, but had high hopes.

Now with the official end of the summer here, looking around the house things definitely look different. Our dining table has become nail polish headquarters (I think we now have pretty much every color on the market available),Twister and Monopoly are no longer lost in the back of the game cabinet, and the grass in our yard has clear and defined dead spots from little feet running over it. Mud spots I should say. Mud has never looked so good.

It's weird sitting in our den watching my oldest daughter plow through her stack of homework. I can’t stop thinking about the no pressure moments from summer when our biggest worry was figuring out who would be the official spinner for Twister.

I’m thinking the real test will come in a few days when my girl's yearly school writing assignment, “what I did this summer” makes it's way home. I’m wondering if the words “I was bored” will appear. Oh I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment