Thursday, September 23, 2010

self-esteem

When I was pregnant with my daughter, the one wish I had clearly formed in my mind was that she'd have a strong sense of self, and not experience all the insecurities that I had when I was younger. (I do realize that experiencing self-doubt is part of growing up - and part of being human - but some individuals are more confident than others, and I wanted her to be one of those...)

For the most part, I got my wish. While Jemma is a sensitive child, she seems to have a healthy self-image, as demonstrated by this exchange:

We were in a store and there was a little boy of about 4 sitting in his stroller. He was having a miserable time, fussing and crying, and when Jemma asked what was wrong his mother explained that he had just stopped taking naps, and was having trouble adjusting...

Jemma wanted try to cheer him up, but that didn't work out very well...

He scowled at her and said, "You're bad!"

This didn't seem to faze her. She simply responded, "I'm good."

But he insisted, "No you're not! You're not good."

Jemma just said, "I am good." Then she added, "I'm wonderful."

No comments:

Post a Comment