Thursday, March 3, 2011

backtracking

When I was in Ethiopia I realized that many things that we consider to be basic are, in fact, luxuries. Like food preferences.

Having newly adopted several vegan practices, I experienced an awkward moment when offered breakfast at the guest house where I was staying. Now, I was in no danger of going hungry - I could have just eaten an energy -bar from my purse. But in a country where so many are malnourished and starving, it seemed ungrateful, somehow. The bottom line is I don't have aesthetic or moral problems with consuming eggs or dairy - I'm just abstaining because I object to how these products are acquired - and that's mostly relevant in our country where people are so hell-bent on making an extra buck (or million or billion) that they're willing to make another creature suffer to get what they want.

So I ate the eggs I was served... and was grateful for them.

I guess it turns out I'm not really a vegan (even though I've still got almond milk and soy cheese in my fridge.)

I do care about animals. But for me it's not just about animals. I want to live consciously - and to make my choices - each of them - mindfully, and with respect, compassion, and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment