Thursday, March 17, 2011

the fountain of youth

A couple of days ago I stopped by Sephora to pick up some mascara. I wasn't wearing make-up at the time, and it occurred to me that perhaps I was the only woman to have ever set foot in that store not wearing make-up...

But armed with war-paint or not, we were all fighting the same battle - all there for the same reason. We were on a mission: to find something that would make us beautiful, desirable, and if at all possible ageless. I don't know whether it's the result of some innate insecurity or the fault of the fashion industry, but most women feel inadequate. And it only gets worse as we get older. I remember feeling a vague panic when construction workers on the side of the road stopped eyeing me admiringly sometime after I hit 40...

Perusing the aisles I felt the the familiar tug of consumerism begin to itch the back of my brain. The hint of anxiety as I caught the gaze of the flawless faces in the advertisements. A whiff of hope as I read the carefully worded promises of anti-wrinkle creams...

I got my mascara and left. And suddenly I was amused by a thought. There's only one thing you have to do to look young:

Be 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment