Sunday, July 4, 2010

Snap, Crackle, Pop


I have always had mixed feelings about fireworks. They're beautiful, of course - but the accompanying noise has always bothered me.

I suppose I'm fairly sensitive to noise - especially in the morning... (When I was younger I was convinced that my mom was shouting when she came in my room to wake me, when in fact she was talking in a normal voice.)

But it's not that... I grew up with ponies, and every year on the fourth of July they just about went crazy. I hated hearing their terrified whinnies - and worrying about them always tainted my experience of watching fireworks when I was a kid.

In addition I always felt vaguely stressed because for some reason I felt like I needed to pick a favorite, and I've never been great with decisions... (the winner was always one of the white ones - usually the kind that twinkle on and off in bursts or the ones that look like shooting stars.)

My husband just sent me a link to an amusing article called "Fireworks Suck" by a writer with a good sense of humor and a bad attitude.




No comments:

Post a Comment