Thursday, July 29, 2010

rainbow head


The other day on the subway a woman got on the train with no make-up. She was attractive - blond and tan with chocolate eyes. I guess she was on her way to work, because she proceeded to 'do her face' while we rode, and by the end of the trip she looked very put-together - but oddly, not as pretty as when she got on the train.

I have always thought that dark eyes don't need eyeliner or mascara to stand out... But it wasn't that. Some people just look better with less - or no - makeup. I'm sure it has to do partly with the skill with which the make-up is applied, and also with how the wearer typically looks (perhaps we grow accustomed to seeing a person a particular way) - but make-up just doesn't seem to suit certain individuals.

And it's interesting that often people have no idea how they look best - whether it's regarding make-up or clothing style or hair color. If you look at celebrity photos you'll see lots of experimental looks they've tried that aren't especially flattering. I've certainly tried my share of unflattering looks...

My hair has been many shades from brown to red to (unintentionally) green, to blue - well, it wasn't entirely blue, but stripes count, I think - and none of them looked especially good on me... At least that's what I've been told. Whenever I'm not blond my family goes into revolt until my hair is a suitable shade of gold again. I suppose I should be grateful to have someone letting me know what looks good (or terrible) on me... It's kind of like having my own stylist.

1 comment:

  1. Great energy from the color wheel! Would we each had a personal stylist to help us hone our best look - OUR best look, not one that "sells" best. T'would be nice. Have long yearned to know the hair style that really & truly suits me best. Still searching!

    ReplyDelete