Wednesday, August 18, 2010

the measure of love

Jemma said to me yesterday, "I love Papa the most, and then you."

"Okay," I said.

Then she went on - just to make sure I understood.

"I love you this much." She held her hands apart about a foot. I nodded.

"No..." she corrected herself, moving them closer together, "this much."

She was completely serious. And maybe I should have felt slighted, but I'm familiar with how there are moments when love can be overwhelming - and how what you feel for one person can sometimes eclipse what you're feeling for everyone and everything else. (I have often felt this way about her.)

I couldn't help laughing. I got it. At that moment she loved her Dad a lot more than me.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write. I feel like I was right there with you. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete