Wednesday, August 11, 2010

the name game


For some reason Jemma thinks that she's going to pick her baby sister's name... And I'm not going to get into that argument with her. I usually just tell her that we'll find out what the baby's name is when we meet her. But the last time I said that Jemma replied, "People give names to babies."

She asked me whether, when she was born in the hospital, the people there told me her name or whether I got to choose it. I fessed up that I had given her her name. "So," she said, "we get to name my baby sister."

We agreed that we could all participate in the naming by suggesting names we like. At first Jemma thought "Sheep" might be nice, but (thankfully) gave up on that one relatively quickly.

At the moment she'd like to name the baby "Alitalia" - because she thinks it's one of the prettiest words she knows... But I don't think that one's going to happen. I can't imagine what the people who gave me a hard time for naming my first daughter Jemima would say if I named my second daughter after an airline...

No comments:

Post a Comment