Tuesday, August 3, 2010

two beautiful things


At a dinner party last night I was talking with one of the guests about our imminent (hopefully) adoption of a child from Ethiopia. I was explaining to him that in spite of all of the all of the possible challenges involved in raising an institutionalized child, and in spite of (or perhaps because of) the fact that this will change and expand my life in ways I can't yet comprehend, I felt such a strong pull to do it that it was an easy decision. And he told me something - that he said is originally from the Talmud - that I thought was beautiful...

"At the moment of commitment the Universe conspires for success."

I loved that.

Another thing he said (also lifted from the Talmud) is that every person should carry two pieces of paper with them - one in each pocket - the first one reading, "I am but a grain of sand in the universe" and the other reading, "the universe was created for me."

This so beautifully describes the paradox of our existence...

I see so many parents trying to teach their children that 'they're not the center of the universe' - and there are few things that irk me more...

I want my children to know that they are the center of the universe. And I want them to know that everyone else is, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment