Wednesday, December 8, 2010

love letters


Lately Jemma's been writing a lot of letters. Not the alphabetical kind... but correspondences.

If I'm too tired to get up with her in the morning (and she gets up very early) I try to find things that she can do for awhile to give me a little longer to sleep. The only that she likes to do without coming in to talk to me every five minutes is draw and - more recently - write letters. She figures out the how the spelling should go based on sound, and usually I can tell what she's trying to say... (If I have trouble deciphering what she's written , she tells me - sometimes impatiently - "Just sound it out, Mommy".)

Last night Jemma wrote a letter to Luca (a boy in her class.)

It said, "Dear Luca, When I grow up I want you to be one of my choices for who I marry."

When I read it, she told me that she wanted to marry Luca.

"Okay," I said.

"I fell in love with him," she explained, and waited for my reaction.

"You can marry him if you want to," I said. "But when you're older there may be someone else you want to marry."

"Nope." She said, "I'm not changing my mind ever."

However, this morning she announced that now she wants to marry Zora...

No comments:

Post a Comment