Thursday, February 25, 2010

private snowfall

Another blizzard. And everyone's upset about how much snow we've been getting lately, but I just can't convince myself not to like it.

Out my window is the most perfect winter scene that any movie set could hope for. The snow is still coming down, so it hasn't had a chance to turn gray or slushy yet - it looks like Narnia when the White Witch was in office...

As I'm watching the snow fall I realize that there's a benefit that I'm experiencing (other than the magnificent view) that I don't often think about, but that I value as much as any other part of my life in Manhattan.

When people describe apartments in the city they talk about light, space, and a view. (And it's rare to find all three together - but that's another topic entirely...) What they don't mention is privacy. Because when it comes to city dwelling, privacy doesn't exist. My first apartment was across the way from a guy who routinely walked around his apartment naked. (And the buildings weren't that far apart!) My shocked amusement quickly turned to amused embarrassment when he had lady friends over.

Where I live now I'm not high up enough to have a "view." The people above me can see the river, but I'm right at the level of the tree-tops. Tree-lover that I am, I consider this to be a fabulous view, but a real estate broker might not agree... What I do have is privacy. Nobody (unless they're a squirrel or a nosy bird) can see into my apartment. Which means if I don't feel like getting dressed I don't have to. And I don't have to worry about construction workers peeking in at me while I sleep (which happened to me in the second apartment I lived in before I bought blinds...)

So I'm enjoying the snow, and enjoying watching it without being watched by anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment