Saturday, February 20, 2010

at play with the grownups

We just got back to New York, a little bedraggled and more than a little glad to be home. The last thing we wanted to do was go out... But tonight an acquaintance of ours was performing, and I had said that we'd try to be there.

Dominique Elise does babysitting for one of Jemma's classmates, and Jemma adores her. So Scott and I decided to let Jemma stay up late and see her sing. Since 3 year olds aren't her typical audience, I figured I'd call the venue to make sure they wouldn't turn us away at the door...

"You do know this is a bar" They said. "Yes, I know." I answered. "And we serve alcohol..." "Right... It's okay with me for her to come - I just wanted to be sure it's okay with you."

It turned out they let us bring her in - and they made sure she ordered her required two drinks per person minimum... (thank goodness bottled water counts as 'a drink!')

Jem and I played outside for a few minutes before Dominique went on. (The comedy routine ahead of her wasn't exactly "child friendly", and while I'm all for breaking the rules and letting her stay out with the big kids sometimes, I'm not looking to teach her any new four letter words...)

The show was great. Dominique has an amazing voice, and an engaging stage presence. (It's always a relief when someone you go out to support is really talented!) Jemma really enjoyed it, and only started getting sleepy (and a little too loud) right before the end of the show. So glad we ended up going...

No comments:

Post a Comment