Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The letter R

Jemma has started saying "R".

Normally, she talks like a 'wascally wabbit,' saying 'woad' for 'road' and 'faw' for 'far'. I've never tried to correct her on her speech. A lot of kids talk that way at first, and it goes away on its own. I guess at some point they just start to hear it... But the other day she sang "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star" with the clearest little 'r' I've ever heard. It's extra pronounced, like she's trying to make sure she's saying it right.

I was so surprised - and proud of her - but it breaks my heart a little bit. Everyone always tells you that eventually you miss when your kids were little (my mom has told me many times she wishes I were still 18 months old!) but I didn't think it would happen so fast. She's only 3!!!

I find myself constantly in awe of this process- and so very grateful for the unique individual that my daughter is: for her insights as well as her sweetness. She's a truly remarkable person (which has next to nothing to do with her speech progress.)

I think most moms feel like this... We all think our own kids are the most wonderful children on the planet. And they are. All of them.

1 comment:

  1. this makes me sad - you are such a beautiful writer. (and a wonderful mother)

    ReplyDelete