Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chocolate Lovers

I've always considered myself to be someone who appreciates chocolate. There's not much that can compare to that particular flavor - very few things even come close. I think a lot of people feel that way... Which is why there are entire restaurants dedicated to the stuff, as well as festivals:

http://hotchocolatefestival.com/index.html
http://nymag.com/restaurants/reviews/underground/19680/

That being said, I have never referred to myself as a "chocolate fiend." I don't get cranky when I can't have it, and I wouldn't give up my firstborn for the last piece in the box (or for anything else, for that matter...) So maybe I don't qualify as a real 'chocolate lover...'

Once, for a party, my brother arranged a "wine and chocolate tasting," with an incredible assortment of about 20 different kinds of chocolate. Some of the flavors were unexpected: basil, cayenne pepper, and even bacon (which, as a vegetarian, I didn't try.) The whole thing was really interesting, and a lot of fun... but I have to admit that as a rule I prefer my chocolate straight up. Maybe I'm a purist (or perhaps I'm just boring) but to me chocolate is perfect as it is. It doesn't need to be messed with. (Seriously - bacon???)

No comments:

Post a Comment