Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent

Awhile back I made a vague mental note that I would give up dairy for Lent. Lent seemed relatively far off, and it felt like an appropriate time to start being mindful of my eating in a particular way.

I've recently become aware of numerous inhumane practices that are standard in the dairy industry. Not just things that I don't consider to be ideal, but things that I cannot in good conscience be a part of... In addition to that, I've always felt that dairy (while I do enjoy it) isn't the healthiest choice for me. So, for many reasons, I decided to cut it out of my diet- at least for a time.

But this morning, when my mom told me she was going to an Ash Wednesday service, it took me by surprise. Was it Lent already?

And so today - without so much as a farewell bite of brie, or serving (read 'entire container') of dulce de lece ice cream - I gave up milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment