Thursday, April 22, 2010

Fixer-upper

Although my new studio could use a lot of work, I'm only doing minimal renovations on it for the moment...

I'll be using the space for all kinds of projects - from sculpting (in stone) to painting to photography... and I don't want to worry about 'ruining' a new floor, so I'm not going to bother re-doing it right now, even though it's in pretty bad condition... or the bathroom, which is in even worse shape - but which will only be getting minimal use. (Although, I may have to get the tub re-finished because it's so disgusting that I don't think I'll be able to stand being in there with it even if it's just for a quick pee...)

For now I figure a coat of paint and replacing a couple of light fixtures will do the trick. And that'll be plenty of work... The last people who painted in there (and the people before that, and the people before that) just slopped the paint on, so it covers the tile border in the bathroom, as well as the molding in the rest of the apartment. I spent several hours today just scraping - which is tedious work, and slow - but it felt satisfying. My mind goes into a sort of meditative state when I'm doing that kind of task, and it's very relaxing (at least mentally). After a couple of days of this I'll probably stop feeling so 'zen' about it - but for now, I'm enjoying fixing the place up.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about feeling zen in the moments of doing those kind of fixer-up things...it really empties out all the clutter we get from every day life. And with all its imperfections, it sounds like you have found the perfect studio space. I am happy for you. Remember your relief prints? I hope you do more of those. I love the angel you gave me.

    ReplyDelete