Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pride (and prejudices)

I just re-watched Pride and Prejudice (the one directed by Joe Wright - who also did 'The Soloist' and 'Atonement'.) And I really enjoyed it - again. Visually, it's beautiful. The acting is good, the direction adept - and it's funny. In fact, I can't think of anything I don't like about it.

But in my mind it isn't ranked among my favorites (i.e. 'The Princess Bride,' 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' or Zeffirelli's 'Romeo and Juliet') and I'm not sure why...

I have a couple of movies like that. "The Painted Veil', for example, and 'Garden State'. I really liked these films, but for some reason I couldn't commit to liking them...

I think it has something to do with the fact that I was moved by them in a way that I don't quite trust...

With 'Garden State' it was the soundtrack that appealed to me - and music has such a strong pull that when I first saw it I loved the movie... Then I saw it again. And it's okay. But my estimation of the film changed drastically upon a second viewing.

And with movies like 'The Painted Veil' and 'Pride and Prejudice' I found the emotional content to be so convincing that I wasn't sure my evaluation was objective enough...

It must be my ego that won't let me admit to liking a movie right away... (After all, someone might ask me about it - and one could ruin their reputation as a discriminating moviegoer if they happened to be in an exceptionally good mood the day they saw 'Dangerous Beauty'. Although, as to that, one could lose their reputation as a discriminating moviegoer just by going to see 'Dangerous Beauty'...)

I suppose the reason you enjoy or don't enjoy a film isn't important. Sometimes it can be something as small as not liking the actors that were cast, or being in a particular state you're in when you see it... I remember watching 'Run Lola, Run' by myself in a theater, and loving the experience simply because it was the first time I had seen a movie without being aware of the people I was seeing it with (and wondering what they were thinking the whole time.) I'm not certain I'd still like it if I saw it again today...

But 'Pride and Prejudice' holds up. My experience watching it again was consistent with my first impression. But I have to admit, I was in a pretty good mood when I was watching it this time, too...

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos - thank goodness for underwater cameras!

    I'm just back from a blog-sabbatical, returned from a long weekend in Sioux Falls, SD. My East Coast soul was shaken a couple years back after our first visit out - fell head over heels in love with the area. Strong vibes, almost like a magnetic force. And the little big city has a strong arts presence.

    In addition to soaking in the aura and attending the wedding of a dear friend, I had the thrill of giving a presentation on creativity at Zandbroz, my favorite store in the universe. Four days of sheer bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip! (Thanks for sharing.)

    ReplyDelete