Monday, April 19, 2010

momhood


Putting my youngest daughter Allie to bed the other night she asked a question that stumped me, “How and where do you learn to be a mom?” She was thinking there must be a school somewhere to attend, or classes to take. After a serious pause in my reply I managed to come up with an answer, “You learn from your own mother.”

As the words rolled out of my mouth a harsh reality hit me smack in the heart. Simply by being this little girl’s mother I am going to dictate not only the childhood she will experience, but also what kind of mother she will be to her own. Oh geez, no pressure there, at all.

I had always imagined the greatest moment of parenting would be from some profound moment in time when a gush of enlightenment somehow spewed from my mouth at the exact moment in time that it was so definitively required. And within that moment, I would be elevated to the podium of motherhood that would send me straight to sainthood and change my blessed girl's lives forever. Well, maybe I never really thought that, but it’s a funny fantasy none the less.

I’m pretty sure what my whole motherhood thing boils down to is the micro-moments of any given day. I mean the little ways I react, or choose not to react, or in the slight influx of my voice, or the hug I steal when one of my girls pass by, or the smile I send her way just because. It's in that space where (hopefully) my children learn what it is to not only be a kid, but also be a mother.

2 comments:

  1. You are SO on target! Parenting doesn't consist in the big moments but in the slightest, often most seemingly unremarkable snatches of time. Reading your blog is time-warpy fun,basking in your words - you can WRITE! - feeling a sense of communion with your female lineage, from EKA down to Jemma. Small wonder I finish off my online activity with a bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quelle dork! Speaking of moi. Ellen, it blew through my brain that YOU were writing, but love it made me think about Emily's grandmama, whom I will always & forever love (a transformation woman, if ever there was one), her mother (ditto), Emily & Jemma. And makes me want to meet the woman behind the words - you - and daughters. Gets me wondering about your own female lineage. And, girl - gee, can you write!!

    ReplyDelete