Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Giving

I was on the subway yesterday, and a homeless woman was asking for change. There were the usual reactions: people looking away, looking annoyed, or just looking on as she stood there, asking for help.

Then I saw another woman who looked like she could have used the money more than the woman who was begging. She fished around in a worn out, re-stitched tote sac and came up with a knotted plastic bag. She carefully worked through the knots, pulled a quarter out of the bag and handed it to the other woman. It amazed me.

I often give money to people in the city, but it has never been a matter of really giving up anything - of offering something that I might have needed for myself.

I know some would argue that you shouldn't give money to the homeless because it could be used to buy drugs or alcohol - and a lot of times I'll buy someone food instead of giving cash. But for me it's not about that... I don't think that I'm supposed to be judging how they'd use what I give them. I'm not God. It's not my place to know what people might need to experience on their journey. What I'm responsible for is showing kindness when I can. (And that doesn't mean giving everyone exactly what they want or giving money to every person on the train. It just means that I try to listen to my inner voice when I feel moved to help someone.)

Sometimes I think it's more about the interaction than the money. Sometimes it's important for someone who's having a rough time to make a connection with another human being - to know that they're not invisible, and that someone else is willing to help. Even if it's only a little.

My husband says that people who don't have much give more freely, because they know what it's like to be in need... And after what I saw today, I'd agree that this may be true... With the notable exception of my parents, who are the most generous people I've ever met.

My Dad has always said, "Give it away. It'll come back to you."

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I really like your dad's philosophy. I will definitely keep that in mind. And I appreciate your willingness to treat the less fortunate as human beings, allowing them the freedom and autonomy to make their own decisions - despite their current situation. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your dad.
    "We really only keep that which we GIVE AWAY."
    I find that to be true in all aspects of life-
    love,kindness,compassion,joy,peace,generosity,
    comfort,gratitude...(the list is endless.)
    "Why are we here if not to make life less difficult for one another"
    "Never look down on another - unless you are
    helping them UP."
    Kind Regards :)
    P.M

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an awesome blog. I wish I had wrote it myself!

    ReplyDelete