Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Home Alone

Being the daughter of a cardiac surgeon, I grew up understanding that work was important. My dad had his share of emergency cases and crazy hours, but we got to see him more than you might think... My mom made sure we all had breakfast together, and most nights dinner too. But when Dad wasn't home I knew he was saving someone's life...

Which makes it a little difficult for me to be supportive when my husband has to stay late. He's involved in a big project right now, and everyone's putting in an enormous amount of effort... Including me. I'm doing my best to be understanding - and I know that you don't have to be doing surgery to be making a difference - but sometimes I feel like saying, "It's only publishing, for Pete's sake. Just come home."

It's easy to let resentment build up... My better self knows this crucial period means a lot to my husband - and that his commitment to his job isn't in competition with his commitment to his family. (Although sometimes it feels like that... And if it comes down to it, I'll kick Time Inc.'s ass if I have to.)

I think the key is for a couple (or family) to act as a unit. If you make decisions together - and make sacrifices for the team rather than for the other person - you can avoid feeling bitter and powerless... Most of the time.

'The crunch' will be over in the next couple of weeks... In the meantime, Jemma and I are heading down to Florida, and Scott will meet us there when he can. We should be able to enjoy some time together then... (I just need to find a good place to hide his Blackberry.)

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know that the last thing I do before signing off for the night is to check out what wonderful thing you've posted. Last thing I read before heading up the wooden hill to bed!

    Hugs - ELM (aka DEEV)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could accidentally take a nose dive into the toidie!! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete