Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ancestry


It turns out that getting my dual citizenship is going to take a pile of paperwork.

Today I made a lot of calls to locate certificates (birth, death, marriage, and naturalization) for my Italian ancestors. At times I felt like I was dealing with someone from the offices in the movie "Brazil". No one seemed to know anything - except that they weren't the person I needed to be talking with...

That's not entirely true. One person gave me other phone number to call. And the person I spoke with at the second number referred me back to the first number... I made more calls and got more numbers, and finally left a message on someone's machine. (Haven't gotten a call back yet...)

Eventually I decided it would be easier to just go downtown (I do live in New York City, after all) and check out the records there. So far I know of three places that might have what I'm looking for. So that's where I'll start tomorrow...

This photo is of my great grandfather and my great grandmother. The kids are: my dad (the cutie in the middle with the bad attitude), his brothers and cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment