Thursday, March 25, 2010

No Chloe O'Brien

I went over to the new studio yesterday and started throwing out the crap that residents who are moving out invariably leave behind... hangers, juice, soap, random papers...

As I was taking a mental inventory of things I needed to buy for the place, I noticed that one of the outlets wasn't lined up properly... And I figured it shouldn't bee too hard to fix. After all, I'm the 'handy one' in our family - whenever something needs to be put together or installed, I can usually manage it on my own. (Although, things usually don't end up exactly the way they're supposed to be... I haven't figured out how to get an anchor into a plaster wall properly, for example... Come to think of it, whenever I try to hang something I usually end up creating a series of unsuccessful holes, like like a trail of spider bites across the wall...)

I suppose in this area my confidence and my ability are not well matched... At any rate, I unscrewed the plate and tried to twist the outlet into a better position. As I was doing this, a line from this week's 24 episode popped into my head: "It'll be fine... if I don't electrocute myself."

When sparks started flying I was scared enough to recognize that I was, perhaps, out of my depth... Turns out I'm not Chloe O'Brien... Or an electrician.

No comments:

Post a Comment