Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A room of one's own

I finally closed on the studio that I wrote about back in the beginning of February - (the one with the evil co-op board.) The purchasing process was so complicated (and nosey) that one point I didn't even want it anymore. (Unless you've lived in a Manhattan co-op you probably have no idea of what I'm talking about - but trust me, co-ops are a pain in the you-know-what.)

Although the board refused to make reasonable exceptions to their (ridiculously rigid) guest policy, we eventually settled - mostly because I couldn't back out of the deal without losing my down-payment. (Apologies to my friends that I would have wanted to let stay there when they're visiting New York.) So I can only use it as a workspace... but 'only' seems to be a silly thing to say when I think of what it offers me.

I just spent some time there, and all (well, almost all) of the negativity I felt during the negotiation has evaporated. I'm excited to have a place where I can find out if I still have any creative juice left. And I'm grateful to be able to do my work without having to shush my daughter. I hate the (almost unavoidable) interaction between us when she's trying to talk to me and my focus is elsewhere. I need to be able to have time to myself without making her feel that she's not important.

The place needs a lot of work - so my first creative endeavor there will be fixing it up...
Time to roll up my sleeves.

1 comment:

  1. Just reread this posting and feeling very kindred spiritish. Am almost finished carving out a creative space for my artistic meanderings - in the basement.

    John can't figure it out. For years & years, I did most of my creative ventures in the den, of all places.

    When Mom was reunited with her O Best Beloved, John was sure I'd turn her bedroom into a art space, especially since it's right next to his (professional) art studio.

    It just never seemed right. Instead, my art supplies were scattered around the house and I kept doing my thing down in the den. It wasn't that the den felt so right, but that using the front room seemed so wrong - it wanted to become a meditation space.

    A couple weeks ago, I was down in the overcrowded, piled with stuff basement when the walls, floor and ceiling seemed to sing out the area's desire to be my first-ever designated art space.

    Preparation started out small, quietly gathering all my bits of this and that out of closets & drawers & wherever, carving out & creating storage space that honored everything rather than simply stuck them away.

    The idea was for the storage to reflect what I wanted my creative self to be - interesting, different, cohesive yet individual.

    It's been a lot of work and it is definitely a basement, but it's an interesting, colorful (in places) and creative basement. The walls & floor & ceiling are happy.

    Tomorrow, we take down my workbench. And we're done. The basement's been transformed into a "reverse garret". Very typical of moi, who seems to do almost everything in reverse or slightly off kilter.


    John still doesn't get it. The basement?? But it wasn't my call. I'll let you know how things turn out. (But I don't doubt they'll be GREAT.)

    Tremendous congratulations on acquiring your own art space. Whether it's in NYC or Lower Southampton, creative space - mental, physical, spiritual - is something to celebrate!

    Hugs - Deev

    ReplyDelete