Friday, May 14, 2010

BBM me please

Living with technology is like being addicted to crack, it’s just a matter of time before you crash (or it crashes), and you burn. My Blackberry stays permanently attached to my fingers. I like to pretend I have this issue because I have three girls and (of course!) I have to be accessible at all times, even in the middle of the night. Although the fact that my girls can simply walk to my bed in the middle of the night is irrelevant. I like to verbally decimate anyone that dares give me a hard time about my addiction. Really, who could argue with this kind of excuse.

My Blackberry (BB) has a special place as it fits ever so perfectly in my hand. It is effortless to hold, and of course I love feeling the soft plastic case hug itself in the nook of my hand (this is weirdly starting to sound like a lover). I feel complete with BB by my side, and lost when it is not with me. When I find the time to get a much needed manicure, I hate the time BB is untouchable. I am willing to risk a manicure disaster (messing up the nail polish before it dries), in order to grab my latest message.

I’m thinking the only other time I don’t have it in sight is when I take a shower. Although this is not completely true because it sits on the counter in front of my shower, 100% visible through my glass shower door.

I also have to credit BB for inspiring me to develop my new shorthand language…like TY which means thank you, and lv for love. Tons more, and ones I am sure are not unique to my own special BB language.

When I moved into my new home last year I discovered BB service (AT&T) didn’t work at my house, so of course I had to switch it to Verizon. God forbid I am not able to use BB at home.

The longest period of time I have not had use of BB was probably when I hiked the Grand Canon last October. It was a total of 10 hours, so to say this was a record amount of time untouched is putting it mildly. Hasn’t happened since.

I am thinking that once my girls are grown up my “little” problem will have subsided, and I will be hands free at all times. Yeah, that will happen…that is until my girls have kids, then I will have to be available for those adorable little grandkids, right?

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about being compulsively 'plugged in'... Actually, that's why I don't have a Blackberry. People make fun of me for how lame my phone is, but I don't want to be any more attached to my technological friends than I already am, so I have a phone that's only a phone... I'm trying to make an effort to be in the moment, and pay attention to what's actually going on around me (rather than what's going on in cyber space.) And it is an effort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that you are quite as addicted to your crackberry ( would that be CB or BB?) as you profess to be. I didn't see you use your BB once during the 10 minutes that you sat with us at the sports banquet this evening. Sounds like that might be a record for you. Also, didn't notice any manicure disaster at all when you were defending the sport of equestrian to JA. In fact the nails looked to be quite perfect.
    Seriously, this is a fun little blog you guys have going here. Sounds like you've got just a little energy. Love your zest for life!
    Enjoyed meeting you this evening.
    Tom B.

    ReplyDelete