Wednesday, May 26, 2010

uncommon gifts



Jemma loves to give presents.

Sometimes when she goes out to pick up bagels with her dad she comes back with a surprise for me. Recently she returned with a bunch of blue daisies... Jemma knew I would appreciate them because, as she pointed out, "They're your favorite color." (In my very first blog post I indicated a rather low opinion of blue daisies - but my feeling about them has changed since then, if only because my daughter loves them so much.)

And although she enjoys giving candy and flowers she's not just a traditional gift-giver. The gift can be anything - a pebble, or even a scrap of paper... She seems to think sticks and leaves are especially appropriate... (And I guess they are, because of my near-obsessive attachment to trees...) The other day she found a twig on her way home from school, telling her babysitter, "This is perfect - Mommy will just love this!"

You can see they joy on her face when she's making an offering, but sometimes there's a sort of solemnity to the act as well. As if she understands that giving is much bigger than the gift itself...

Once, when presenting me with an ivy leaf, she placed her little hand over her heart and said, "Mommy, thank you for doing everything... And for doing everything with me."

No comments:

Post a Comment