Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Directionally Impaired

I can’t decide what to call this. Is it an issue, or a problem, or an opportunity (I like that one), or a challenge. Whatever it is doesn’t really matter or change the net result. I get lost, all the time. In fact, my kids are more used me driving in u-turns than straight. Pretty sad I think. Thank goodness it doesn’t look like my girls inherited this particular gene (I’m calling it a gene because I don’t want to have to take responsibility for it).

The day my life changed the most, excluding the days my girls were born, was the day I was lucky enough to get a navigation system in my car. For some people this can be considered a nice convenience, but for my family it really is a matter of survival. I actually have found that when I think I should turn one direction, 99% of the time it is the opposite direction that is correct. And sadly, the more I think about it and try to guess, the worse that statistic gets (as if it could get worse).

So I am a car-navigation addict, and my kids are the better for it. We all are. So happy I am not lost in LA somewhere, at least until something happens to my navigator. Oh God forbid.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem... I'm renowned for my bad sense of direction.

    My sister Samantha, however, is the opposite. She's generally known as GPS Lemole. It's uncanny - she can find her way around a city she's never even been to before... My dad can do the same thing. Sometimes I wonder why he couldn't pass along a tiny particle of that gene to me...

    ReplyDelete