Monday, May 17, 2010

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
-Alexander Pope

This weekend I re-watched "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", which is one of my favorite films. I loved it the first time I saw it- in spite of the fact that it was kind of confusing - because the emotional content comes through so clearly. It's Charlie Kaufman (the writer) and Michel Gondry (the director) at their best.

The story is so engaging and the interactions so genuine, that seeing the movie again - and knowing what will happen throughout - doesn't diminish its impact. I was also able to appreciate how well crafted the film is this time around, observing small details that at first I didn't notice, but that contribute to the work's complexity and tight-knit structure. I don't think there's a thing I'd change about it... (which I can't say about too many films.)

If you want to see the trailer you can find it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GiLxkDK8sI

And here's a review of the movie:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenreviews/eternalsunshine.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment