Monday, May 10, 2010

Daddy's girl

Last week Jemma turned four. And people always say "it goes so fast" - but cliches are cliches for a reason... It feels like only moments ago that I was wondering when she would start sleeping through the night... Although, that's sometimes still a tough one, since my daughter has inherited her father's sleep issues. (I'm still trying to figure out whether I married a vampire or an alley cat... Probably an alley cat, since he hasn't bitten anyone yet, and he's usually just prowling around for food...)

She's inherited a lot of things from him, actually... Her independent spirit and generous nature, her resistance to having someone else call the shots, and the desire to climb every tree she sees, no matter how high the branches are ("you can just lift me up there, mommy.") Oh, and her appearance.

Although my grandmother on my father's side was Irish, (she had the same vibrant locks as my daughter) everyone always attributes the red hair to my husband's side of the family - since both of his sisters are redheads... And she does resemble Scott more than me... Okay, she probably resembles a lot of people more than me... I'm often told she doesn't even look like she's my kid. (But I was there when she came out - and she's mine for sure.)

I love that she's like her dad. And I love the very specific and beautiful individual she is (and is becoming). But I always feel a little surge of pleasure when I notice something of me in her - even if it's small or insignificant, like an expression. Or the fact that she hates sleeves that don't come down far enough. Or that she has curls like I did when I was little... The curls are definitely from me.


1 comment: