Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Remembrance of things past

Lemole Pharmacy (photo from video footage that was taken around 1940.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZck0B-p2rY

This past weekend we went out to Staten Island to visit the place where my grandfather's pharmacy used to be...

It was recently turned into a restaurant, and when my cousin Lauren suggested we check it out I was a little hesitant. Let's just say that accepting change isn't one of my greatest strengths...

I felt a little emotional walking in, because it seemed like I should be going into the pharmacy - the door is set at an angle, and has a very specific and unique quality to it... But once we were inside there was very little to remind me of the place I used to know. The windows were in the same place, obviously - and for the decor they had used a patterned ceiling reminiscent of the gorgeous tin that was one of my favorite features of the drug store. But apart from that - nothing... They had re-configured the space entirely, so that it was completely transformed.

I was able to enjoy my meal without dissolving into a blubbering mess... without even coming close. It was just lunch in a new place. We had a nice time, and the food was good. And we brought cannoli back for my dad.

In a way it feels as though we went to the wrong place. And somehow the memory of Lemole Pharmacy is untouched... I know it's not there anymore. But part of me secretly feels like it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment