Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Charlotte's Web


“Life is always better when you're waiting for something to grow”, Charlotte from Charlotte's Web, E.B. White

I was in my daughter's 4th grade classroom yesterday and this quote was posted on the wall. Her class is in the middle of learning about planting vegetables and flowers, so the quote is pretty relevant to them. I was thinking more in line with things like growth in friendships and love, but flowers work too.

And then there is the other point of view, which is much funnier. A friend told me Charlotte's Web was the first book she had ever read. She remembered shedding a lot of tears from it (must have been a ton of tears since she still remembers. You see, my friend is as old as me thus requiring this traumatic event to have occured decades ago). It so profoundly effected her that to this day she has never wanted to kill a spider.
I bet EB White has saved millions of spiders from being smashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment