Friday, October 22, 2010

just zip it

This morning I was talking with one of the other moms at my daughter's preschool. It started out innocently enough, with her asking if anyone had any opinions about the ipad. So I told her - very enthusiastically- what I thought. I love it, by the way. But apple hasn't hired me to sell their product, and I probably didn't need to be as vehement as I was about it...

I guess that wasn't so bad, though - I just looked like an overly enthusiastic consumer. At some point, however, the conversation shifted to iphones - and to cell phones in general, - and for some reason I felt the need to give this person a lecture on radiation. Well, that led into the general topic of potentially harmful things that we don't think about (or in some cases, even know about.) I could tell I was losing her, but my lips kept moving faster and faster, as if by getting out some vital bit of information I could salvage the conversation. I had moved on to genetically modified foods when her eyes started to glaze over.

Of course, I realized I was going on and on - and I really was about to stop... But then, this poor woman (who was simply trying to contribute something to the conversation) made the mistake of making what she probably thought was a general and innocuous comment. What she said was, "it's important for government to be involved with food regulation to make sure foods are safe for us." (There was no way I couldn't say something about that...)

I'm not sure whether I stopped talking first, or whether she stopped pretending to listen... but I finally was able to get a grip on myself and zip it. (Which is probably the only reason she'll ever speak to me again.)

I have no intention of picking up where I left off here... But here are some interesting links if you're inclined to investigate further (without my having to listen to my rant.)


GMOs:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/02/genetically-modified-organisms-are-a-looming-threat.aspx


Government 'safety' legislation:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/youre-appointing-who-plea_b_243810.html

No comments:

Post a Comment