Wednesday, October 6, 2010

representation

So, I went to the doctor yesterday - after nearly a month of trying to battle this cough on my own I figured I ought to - and it turns out I have bronchitis and possibly pneumonia... (I wouldn't let them do the chest x-rays to be sure... the treatment's the same, and I don't have any need to spice up my life with extra radiation, thank you.) It sounds rather serious - but it's really not that big a deal. I just take antibiotics (I refused the steroid inhaler) and I should get better.

At this point I should address the fact that I sound like a pain in the you-know-what patient, refusing certain tests and treatments - but I'm not. Really. I'm just very conservative about what I subject my body to. Always have been. And, quite frankly, I'm pretty sure my body's grateful. It should be - considering all the 'fun' I could have had in my younger years, when I behaved myself instead. (Plus, I don't just make crazy medical choices willy-nilly - I always get input from the doctors in my family.)

Anyway, none of this is very interesting. It's simply the setting for something that is. Very. While I was hacking away, sitting amidst a pile of tissues, I had a phone conversation with my agent. Yes, that's right - I said, "my agent." My agent. Meaning that I have one.

For the past couple of days the sound of "WOO-HOOO!!!" and "YIPPEE!!!" has been echoing off the walls around here... Kind of glad you can't hear it, actually. Makes me sound too excited - like it's a big deal. Which, of course, it is. At least for me, because I haven't had a literary agent before. And now I do.

I wonder, can you call yourself a writer once you have an agent, or do you have to wait until you've been published?

Also, do any two words sound better together than 'my' and 'agent'? Nope... Not at the moment.

1 comment: