Wednesday, October 20, 2010

rules of conduct

This morning I set out to visit one of the schools we're considering for Jemma for next year. As I was about to leave the house Jemma said to me, "Mommy, you look nice - you look very fashion."

It's not often that I look 'fashion'. (It pretty much just means that I wasn't wearing sweat pants, and that I had brushed my hair - but I enjoyed the compliment anyway...)

I did the tour with a bunch of other parents - all of whom were also looking quite 'fashion' (because we're all extremely aware that the schools are evaluating us, too.)

This particular school seemed like a nice environment - one in which the kids were respected and valued for their unique qualities (which, of course, made me a fan).

In one of the classrooms I noticed a poster that the children had made, listing behavior guidelines they had come up with.

One of these read: "Don't laugh at somebody when they fall down."

I like that. It strikes me as a very good rule... and not just for little kids.

Especially today, when the very best way to be 'fashion' is to wear purple - to support kindness and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment